Re: Dual index question

From: Jack Love <jlove_at_ivrit.ra.itd.umich.edu>
Date: 2 Apr 1994 23:21:51 GMT

In article <2nkbabINNin1_at_srvr1.engin.umich.edu>, Lewis W Kellum <lwk_at_engin.umich.edu> wrote:
>If I do a select joining this table with the one
>where foobee is a primary key, and refer to both
>foobar and foobee in the where clause, which index
>will I be using?

I don't have the answer to this, but before any answer could be provided I think we'd have to know whether you are using Oracle 6 or 7 and if the latter whether you have cost-based optimization turned on.

In the days of Oracle 5 (and I think in the early part of the Oracle 6 releases), Oracle could not use index segments other than the first for search purposes. I'm pretty sure this changed later on, so now the question is whether there is a rule which the rule-based optimizer will follow that will lead to one index or the other. Aw heck, its the weekend, I'm going back to Zork. <smile>

--Jack

Jack F. Love	| 	Opinions expressed are mine alone.