Re: Project Management database (anyone built one?)

From: Mick Matousek <mickmat_at_EXEGESIS.COM>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 1994 20:52:14 GMT

>My company is interested in creating a project management database.
>Currently,
>we use spreadsheets to track development projects, these spreadsheets are
>stored on a LAN and are primarily only viewable by Engineering personnel
>(i.e., they are the only ones with ENG server access.)
>
>We would like to streamline the project management process and would
>like to allow global viewing access to this information. Our conclusion
>was a database to store this data integrated with an intuitive user
>interface.
>
>There are a myriad of variables to be examined before we can pursue this
>further, and I'm sure some of the variables haven't even been
>discovered yet! As such, I think it would be an incredible benefit to
>learn from another team who has performed a similar feat. If you
>have any experience in this realm, would you be willing to share your
>trials and tribulations??

    Save the effort. I have worked in the project management field for over ten years. Buy proven, and available tools from project management companies. Several use Oracle for native data storage. Yes, this means you can use all the usual Oracle tools also. Project management is *not* a simple gnatt chart or sorted report. Project management is a discipline that has developed steadily since WWII.

    Some of the major vendors which use Oracle database are Project Software and Development Inc of Cambridge MA (makers of Project/2 Series X) at 800-243-7734 and Lucas Management of Seattle, WA (sellers of Artemis Prestige).

    Client server multi vendor platforms, sophisticated capabilities and user friendly GUI interfaces are standard. Received on Sat Apr 02 1994 - 22:52:14 CEST

Original text of this message