Oracle equiv. of Sybase Open Server & Open Client

From: Joe Semrad <jsemrad_at_empros.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 1994 21:47:16 GMT

Hello all,

I will soon have to convert an application that was developed in a Sun and Sybase environment to an IBM RS/6000 and Oracle environment.

The application runs as a Sybase Open/Server server, and provides access to a proprietary database. I will then be writing an Open/Client application to move the data into an Oracle database on another box once a day or so.

The problem is that since our customers already have Oracle they are not really too excited about having to buy Sybase Open/Client and Open/Server.

Since I am not all that familiar with Oracle's family of products (yet :-) could someone who knows something about both Sybase and Oracle tell me if Oracle has a product that has functionality similar to Open/Client and Open/Server?

I am posting this to both the Sybase and the Oracle groups, however I don't read either group on a regular basis so please reply to jsemrad_at_empros.com and I will summarize if there is interest.

Many thanks for your help,
Joe

= C. Joseph Semrad = Phone: 612-553-4731 =
= EMPOWER-Spectrum Development = FAX: 612-553-4018 =
= Siemens-Empros, Plymouth MN = jsemrad_at_empros.com =
= "My basic view on tackle and equipment costs is that =
= fly fishers as a group spend too much and spin =
= fishers spend too little" - Stream Smallmouth Fishing =