Re: SQLForms 2.3 on V7

From: The Administrator <gerrit_at_vtm.be>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 1994 16:41:39 GMT

In article <2ne3a0INNl41_at_news.ougf.fi> rissahe1_at_news.ougf.fi (Heikki Rissanen) writes:
>STOCKHOLDING CORPORATION OF INDIA LTD. (hemant_at_shakti.ncst.ernet.in) wrote:
>
>: Does Oracle-7 support Forms 2.3 ?
>: Does the Distribution Tape also include Forms 2.3 ?
>
>I'd like to know more about this subject also!
>
>Our official Oracle contacts said NO, because they no longer support
>v2.3. Though they could not tell why, especially since we are connecting
>through SQL*Net that should take care of differences.
>
>In a less official conversation a Oracle support person told that he saw no
>reason why it would not work. Actually they had tried it in a very small
>case and it seemed to work.
>
>Which leads me to a question of why Oracle stops supporting older versions
>and why they don't give information that exists. I'm positive that they have
>a lot of testing material, but still we only get the 'We don't support it'.
>
>It's certainly an easy answer and saves them money, but is Oracle REALLY
>big enough to do this. Obviously they think they are.
>Not many companies refuse to offer support for their "-2"-version.

Do you really expect from Oracle that they would still support Oracle version 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ????? (If all these versions existed once?) And this on all platforms they were released on ? I bet Microsoft isn't supporting Windows 3.0 anymore or DOS 3.1.

Isn't it normal that if a company releases a new version or product that the old ones are being supported just a limited period ?

If you are expecting this, are you willing to pay $1,000,000 for a Oracle version on i386 for example ?

Try and get a brand new original part for a Ford T !

--
Gerrit Cap
Vlaamse Televisie Maatschappij N.V.		e-mail :   gerrit_at_vtm.be