Re: Oracle on Alpha?

From: Rick Millhollin <rickm_at_oregon.uoregon.edu>
Date: 29 Mar 1994 23:47:51 GMT

We're migrating a large VMScluster from VAX, thru mixed VAX/AXP, to AXP. One of our biggest applications is ORACLE. We were told by several reliable sources that it would be better to skip the V6 "migration release" for AXP and go straight to V7, which we are doing. Of course, this implies a move from SQL*Forms V2.3 to V3.0 as well. If you use Pro*C, be ready for some differences between versions there, as well as between VAX C and (AXP) DEC C. Finally, V7 does not yet support SMP, so if you have multiple CPUs be ready to disable all but one until a "real soon now" ORACLE upgrade version appears. We have just started into this process, but so far it doesn't look too bad!

| Rick Millhollin <rickm_at_oregon.uoregon.edu> U U OOOOO |
| Assistant Director for Technical Services U U O O |
| University of Oregon Computing Center U U O O |
| Eugene, Oregon 97403-1212 (503)346-1730 UUUUU OOOOO |