Re: tablespace extents, i think

From: Tim Maggio <tim_at_sun1.claremont.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 1994 20:38:40 GMT

% > I have a tablespace of about 300 MB with tables amounting to 107 MB and
% > indexes amounting to 20 MB leaving me with 170 MB or so.
% >
% > [deleted stuff abut sizes of tables/indexes ]
%
% That is the error that you get when you physically run out of data in the
% tablespace. You need to add another datafile.
%
% I am a little confused, 'cause your numbers don't add up. You said that your
% tablespace is 300m, but the create statement only has 90m. Did you add some
% additional files already?
%
% You say your tables account for 107m, but if your are using the default storage
% for each object, space is allocated in 20m and 4m chunks, so 107 doesn't make
% sense. You also seem to indicate that multiple indexes take up a total of 20m,
% but if you use the default storage, each would be 20m.
%
% To get a true indication of how much space is being used in the tablespaces,
% look at dba_segments.
%
% select sum(bytes) from dba_segments where tablespace_name = 'DEANDATA';
%
% You can see space by object with
%
% select segment_name, bytes
% from dba_segments where tablespace_name = 'DEANDATA';

I have added lots-o-datafiles for my tablespace already. Sorry that was not clear. I forgot to mention that all tables are created with an explicit storage clause, and I got my database sizing from the dba_segments already. The numbers add up, but only in a strange, Oracle sort of fashion :)

--
Tim Maggio
tim_at_claremont.com