Re: The term "Transactions Per Second"

From: Andreas Schulz RIT14 <aschulz_at_erno.de>
Date: 28 Mar 1994 07:28:15 GMT

In article <2n5ced$i2o_at_infochi.com>, rfinkel_at_infochi.com (Richard Finkelstein) writes:
|> Ramzi BAROODY (rbaroody_at_cs.mcgill.ca) wrote:
|> : If someone says that a certain server can perform 282 TPS (transactions
|> : per seconds) under Oracle 7, then what exactly does this measure indicate?
|> : What is considered as a transaction in this case?
|> (stuff deleted)
|> Some transactions can be long and others short. For the sake of
|> illustration let's say that a really fast operator can complete a
|> transaction in 60 seconds. This means that 60 operators would be able to
|> processs one TPS. In order to create 280 transcation in a second, there
|> would have to be about 17,000 concurrent users!

Well, I guess others besides us would easily reach this limit with just one user
- using SQL embedded in an application via ORACLE Pro[C|Ada|..] !! (just to remind you that interactive operation isn't the whole world).

|> (stuff deleted)
|> In my experiences, the Unix RDBMSs normally handle about 1 - 5 TPS. In
|> rare occassions they go higher. In order to get over 100 TPS you really
|> need to look at specialized RDBMSs like Tandem Non Stop SQL or some
|> mainframe DBMSs.

That would explain why the data handling of our application is _so_ slow with ORACLE. Our Problem is that we are doomed to use ORACLE for our application.

Andreas.Schulz_at_erno.de DASA/ERNO Raumfahrttechnik, Bremen, Germany If there was time to flame, then there'd be time to explain instead Received on Mon Mar 28 1994 - 09:28:15 CEST

Original text of this message