Re: Tools tablespace && backups

From: <jl34778_at_corp02.d51.lilly.com>
Date: 27 Mar 94 12:53:38 EST

In article <PGS1002.94Mar27124650_at_delphi.esc.cam.ac.uk>, pgs1002_at_esc.cam.ac.uk (Paul Sjoerdsma) writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have two, hopefully simple, questions.
> 1] I'm reconfiguring the database and trying to get rid of data-files
> and tablesapces we don't need. We have a tablesapce called 'tools'
> which is probably used for things like Forms etc. We don't use forms
> but instead we're using Tcl/Tk which used the OCI-protocol. How can I
> found out if I can savely delete the tools-tablespace????

SELECT owner, segment_name, segment_type

        FROM DBA_SEGMENTS WHERE TABLESPACE_NAME = 'TOOLS'; If this query returns nothing, you have no objects in that tablespace.

In ORACLE7, if you attempt to drop a tablespace that has objects, it won't let you. You have to use the INCLUDING CONTENTS clause. I don't remember what ORACLE6 does.

> 2] Is it save to backup directly to /dev/rst0. ???

I have no idea.

--
Bob Swisshelm                | swisshelm_at_Lilly.com     | 317 276 5472
Eli Lilly and Company        | Lilly Corporate Center  | Indianapolis, IN 46285