Performance Problems on VAX6640

From: Matthew J. Burke <mburke_at_netcom.com>
Date: 24 Mar 94 13:28:56 GMT

        I have a DEC Vax 6640 running VMS with a relatively small Oracle database. There is a little less than 1gigabyte of tablespace and I have allocated over 40MB to the SGA. There is a total of 348MB of memory. All of the database kernel and hit ratio statistics look good, if not excellent. In addition, I have two DSSI connections with the datafiles spread between them.

        Unfortunately, when I get more than 20 users on the system connected to Oracle, the performance degrades exponentially. Some users have complained that it can take over 2 minutes to simply enter SQL*Plus.

        The primary application on this system is Oracle, so it is difficult to tell, if this problem is unique to Oracle or is system wide.

        Does this sound like a mismatch with working set quotas, etc?

        Grateful for any help...

        Matt Burke (mburke_at_netcom.com)

 Matthew J. Burke   		  			     mburke_at_netcom.com
 Database Consultants, Inc.					(214) 392-0955