Re: HELP/LOCKS/ORACLE

From: Mark Aldred <maldred_at_pinocchio.encore.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 1994 15:18:42 GMT

::: Could someone please tell me if ORACLE supports the concept of
::: read lock on a row, i.e. is it possible to explicitly lock a
::: row ( for as long as we want ) in such a way that several users can
::: read it but no one can write on it ?
:::
::: Thank you very much for any help that you can give.
::
::
:: Try using the SELECT FOR UPDATE clause .
:
:No, this creates a write (exclusive) row lock (only one reader or writer
:may own such a lock). Oracle does not support share row locks. You need
:to find other ways to serialize your transactions.

Oracle does allow a shared lock to be taken on a single row in a table. However, I don't know if it is possible for a user to make a request that will cause this to happen. Received on Thu Mar 24 1994 - 16:18:42 CET

Original text of this message