Re: usage of ODBC

From: Bill Meahan <wmeahan_at_ef0424.efhd.ford.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 1994 08:55:52

In article <1994Mar23.193953.1417_at_Arco.COM> David Scott Feldman <dsf_at_arco.com> writes:
>From: David Scott Feldman <dsf_at_arco.com>
>Subject: Re: usage of ODBC
>Date: Wed, 23 Mar 1994 19:39:53 GMT

>Chip Charnley (ccharnle_at_ef0424.efhd.ford.com) wrote:

>>> T:{IP address}/1525:oracle:1024

>Hey thanks guys! I've been trying to connect to Oracle with ODBC/Visual
>Basic
>for several days with no luck. I added /1525 after the IP address and
>BAM!, I'm
>in there! One problem: I can't write (insert, update) to the Oracle
>database
>from VB, just read.

Make sure you don't implicitly or explicitly have the data control set for Read Only access. Look at the Options property and ReadOnly property.

HINT: if you are NOT attempting to join to local (non-Oracle) database tables, be SURE to add SQLPASSTHRU (64) to the other option values you need. This will let Oracle's SQL parser do its thing rather than letting the "jet" engine screw things up first.

--
Bill Meahan,  Senior Developer  |        wmeahan_at_ef0424.efhd.ford.com
Electrical & Fuel Handling Division, Ford Motor Company