Re: ORACLE data block corrupted survay

From: Dave Mausner <dlm_at_dlogics.dlogics.com>
Date: 24 Mar 1994 11:34:33 -0600

In article <2mbn9j$crv_at_pandora.sdsu.edu>, Greg Tupper <gtupper_at_monkfish.nosc.mil> wrote:
>had five occations now when I have seen an ORACLE error in the 600 range
>reporting a corrupt oracle data block while selecting from a table.
>Is there a bug with the RDBMS code?
>Does anyone else see this problem?

In four months i saw three bad-block hits in databases running 7.0.15.4 under vms 5.5. oracle support is surprisingly unconcerned, taking the attitude that these things happen sometimes. they generally declined to analyse the traces in any great detail mainly because we reloaded tables from backup in order to continue operations. we were able to prove that the bad blocks were not due to faulty media or electronics. i therefore deduce that there is a bug in the rdbms as recently as 7.0.15.4.

i have not seen the 7.0.16 release notes to judge whether anything has been corrected in this regard; but i am reluctant to use 7.0.16 because of a number of new pl/sql bugs.

Dave Mausner, Senior Consultant / Datalogics Inc / Chicago IL / 312-266-4450
dlm_at_dlogics.com                                 Motto: Just show me the code