Re: Oracle on NetWare NLMs?

From: Richard D Holowczak <holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu>
Date: 23 Mar 94 22:02:41 GMT

broberts_at_sam.neosoft.com writes:

>Anyone running the NLM version of Oracle? As we're considering running this
>version in house, I'd love to hear any feedback on success (and/or failure) of
>this server platform.

>Basic question: is it stable and reliable or not? I often wonder about the
>NetWare NLM platform from this perspective.

>You can email me directly (broberts_at_sam.neosoft.com) if you like.

>-Bruce

I'ved used both version 6 and (currently) version 7 of the server. I find it very reliable and easy to set up. There are some initial set up considerations with some of the support NLMs. Oracle 7 is a bit picky about some of the versions of these files. In particular, the SPXFIX1.NLM and SPXFIX2.NLM seem to have cropped up recently as being incompatible under certain situations.

The proper set of support NLMs come with Oracle 7. As long as you have no other "picky" software loaded up that requires different versions of these support NLMs, there should be no trouble.

In about 1/2 a day, I installed Oracle 7 plus figured out the patches. It was cake.

Server has been up and running now for 70+ days. I only took it down manually once to do a complete image backup. Other than that, smooth as silk. BTW, we also run a littany of shareware Netware utilities such as Pegasus Mail, Mercury SMTP mail transport, RDATE and others.

I compare this to the SunOS installation done in another department which languished for over a month while Oracle and Sun pointed fingers and many many tapes changed hands.

Any specific questions, please let me know.

Rich Holowczak
Rutgers University
holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu Received on Wed Mar 23 1994 - 23:02:41 CET

Original text of this message