Re: >Oracle's future

From: Surendra K. Verma <verma_at_eclipse.torolab.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 1994 15:41:06 GMT

In article <1994Mar22.223454.2137_at_colesmyer.com.au> amay_at_colesmyer.com.au (Andrew May CMIS) writes:
>>I would just like to point out several things:
>> 1, DB2/6000 is faster than Oracle v7, if Oracle doesn't use discrete trans.
>
>You would hope that IBM's proprietary database on their proprietary box
>would run faster than any other. The figures I got from IBM are:

I don't know how you can classify DB2/6000 to be any more "proprietary" than Oracle. Just because it was released on the RS/6000 before any other platform? I think what's great about the statement below is that the FIRST release of this product would have beaten Oracle if Oracle had not used discrete transactions.

> TPC-A on RISC system 6000 model 580
> DB2/6000 - 125.64 TPSA
> Oracle 7 - 157.20 TPSA
>
> Note: Oracle used discrete transactions to get their result.
>>

>> 2, Oracle v6 had 26 maintenance releases. Oracle v7, on AIX, has had 16
>> maintenance releases already. Does that sound stable to you?
>
>I don't know how many IBM would release, but I get the impression that most
>mainframe sites only upgrade once/year. Would you want to wait 12 months
>for an enhancement or bug fix? Perhaps IBM products are "bug free". In any
>case, you only take upgrades when you are ready. You don't have to apply
>26 maintenance releases one at a time.
>>
>>Pat Gainer
>>gainer_at_almaden.ibm.com
>
>One advantage of Oracle 7 is a large amount of third party software and
>services support. Since DB2/6000 only went production in late November, there
>is only a small amount of third party software and services available as far
>as I am aware.
>
>DB2 runs on MVS, DB2/6000 runs on AIX and OS/2. They are porting to HP.
>Oracle runs on all these and many more. Oracle was production on AIX and
>OS/2 long before DB2/6000 was.
>
>Oracle supports Parallel server on AIX (HACMP). Although IBM are planning
>this, I don't think it is available yet for DB2/6000.
>
>I also understand DB2/6000 is a subset of DB2/MVS.
>
>I hope this clears up a few things.
>
>Regards,
>Andrew.
>--
>N. Andrew May. | Database Administrator
>Coles-Myer Ltd | These are my humble opinions alone.
>53 Hoddle Street, Collingwood, | Tel: +61 3 483 7389. Fax: 483 7381

Surendra Verma
verma_at_torolab.vnet.ibm.com Received on Wed Mar 23 1994 - 16:41:06 CET

Original text of this message