Re: Oracle access trough Excel (now Paradox)

From: Jack Love <jlove_at_ivrit.ra.itd.umich.edu>
Date: 22 Mar 1994 20:13:23 GMT

Apropos the "how do I get to Oracle through XXX" series, and apologies if this has already been thrashed to death...

I personally use the various Oracle CDE products, so I haven't had much need to develop client systems using such products as Excel or Paradox. However, one of my current projects might be better done with Paradox simply because the unit doesn't have the hardware that will comfortably support Oracle's CDE.

So, I purchased the Borland SQL*Link for Paradox and tried to get a connection. I noted that the release notes make some mention of problems with orawin7.dll, but I at least take comfort from the fact that this makes it likely that Paradox can talk to Oracle7--not at all obvious from the rest of the docs.

I ran the install routine for SQL*Link and then tried to configure and connect. Nothing doing. I called Borland tech support. As you probably know, they now have a "free support only for install" policy. No one knows anything about SQL*Link. I spent two days being forwarded from one Borland line to another. Next I tried CompuServe. Borland support informed me that I could get help for this issue from the live support engineers and suggested yet another phone number. That one turned out to be a recording referring me to other numbers, most of which I had already been through. Back to Compuserve. No reply.

I know I'm wasting too much bandwidth for this, but the question is, how do you get there from here? Two kinds of answers most appreciated: 1) A blueprint for configuring SQL*LInk, 2) A phone number that will get the right Borland folks on the line.

Thanks in advance.

Jack F. Love	| 	Opinions expressed are mine alone.