Re: Messing with $ORACLE_HOME/bin

From: Tommy Wareing <p0070621_at_oxford-brookes.ac.uk>
Date: 22 Mar 1994 03:49:55 -0600

Joe Capkun (capkun_at_pluto.dev.promis.com) wrote:
> I have a question about the $ORACLE_HOME/bin directory on Solaris, AIX, and
> Alpha OSF/1.

> (1) The executables in bin are not stripped. I found that, by running strip
> against them, I saved from 1/3 to 1/2 of the space taken up before.
No problems with this. Until something core dumps on you and Oracle ask for for a stack trace. Of course, if you don't keep core dumps either, then there's no effect. The code will be fractionally faster to load as well (say 1 second instead of 2 seconds. Wow!)

> (2) Several of the executables are identical except for name. I found
> that I could save from 50-90MB by deleting the all but one of the
> binaries which are identical and making them symbolic links to the one
> remaining binary.

I thought that (under SunOs 4.1.3). Then someone pointed out that they were in fact hard links.
So using soft links actually takes up fractionally /more/ space. On the other hand, using soft links has the advantage that you can relink the executable (eg add user exits) without having to worry about what might be linked to it.

--
< Tommy Wareing X p0070621_at_brookes.ac.uk X 0865-483389 >