Help - unable to restore

From: David Millar <millar_at_pobox.upenn.edu>
Date: 21 Mar 1994 20:06:36 GMT

I'm posting this for someone else. Please do not reply to Dan Collins at Purdue, not me at the upenn address. Dan does not even read this group, so please reply to him via email.

Thanks,
Dave Millar

Help!

Purdue's Calumet campus has experienced a system crash. In simplistic terms, our attempt to recover from recent back-up tapes has been unsuccessful. Calumet is running Oracle on a Sequent(?) 2000 Model 700 platform; with SPX operating system (a UNIX derivative).

The problem is: the back-up tape data is being restored to disk, but then Oracle cannot read the disk! It APPEARS the integrity of the back-up tapes per-se is OK; yet the "restored" disks are strangely unfamiliar to Oracle!

Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this very criptically described situation??????

| DECOLLINS_at_FREH-02MS.ADPC.PURDUE.EDU |
| Dan E. Collins, Systems Auditor |
| Purdue University |
| 1065 Freehafer Hall |
| West Lafayette, IN 47906-1065 |
| (317)494-4875 FAX (317)496-1814 |

D Received on Mon Mar 21 1994 - 21:06:36 CET

Original text of this message