Re: SQL*forms memory problem!

From: Robert J. McCallister <rjmac_at_crl.com>
Date: 20 Mar 1994 08:44:39 -0800

Anurag A. Taneja (aataneja_at_mtu.edu) wrote:
:*I am trying to run SQL*forms on my PC (MS-dos) (with 4MB), unfortunately
:*it goes"out of extended memory" ...

:*bckgrd:
:*Up loading sqlpme and oracle6 and mounting the db, it seems like
:*oracle reserves almost all of the memory for itself, except for about
:*500K, which allows my sql*plus to run but I am unable to run my
:*sql*forms ... (requiring 2.8M), .. any other solutions then spending
:*$$$$ on new memory ..?? HELP !

:*Anu.. (906)482-9915..
:*aataneja_at_cs.mtu.edu

I have only ben successful at running Oracle on a PC with 8 meg of memory installed and in the config.ora giving DYNAMIC_MEMORY=5120. I have tried all other configurations, trying to cut back on the extended memory that is used when the pc boots, by limiting the amount of memory smartdrive uses to 512 ( I have seen a real performance decrease if I do not use smartdrive) and in my config.sys limiting the amount of memory I give to emm386 to 5120:

        ex: DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM 5120

These are the only configurations I have been successful with. I wanted to run windows on the same pc so I could build Visual Basic applications to access the Oracle database and use Clear Access on a local database for developing client applications and I finally gave up and put 16 meg of memory in one bank on my pc and kept a bank of of 4 meg giving me a total of 20 meg and everybody runs happily together, as long as I don't mind using windows in standard mode.

I would be interested in hearing a solution from someone else, when I called Oracle they told me "add more memory".

This doesn't answer the question, but at least it might help you from chasing the same hopeless problem I chased.

Good Luck and forward me any answers that are better than mine.

|  Robert J. McCallister    |                                     |
|  rjmac_at_crl.com            |        THIS SPACE AVAILABLE         |
|  RJM Software Engineering |				          |
|                           |  Tilde: That little squiggly line.  |