Re: >Oracle's future

From: Shiraz Kanga <skanga_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 1994 19:45:52 GMT

In article <2mclel$j8g_at_juniper.almaden.ibm.com> gainer_at_almaden.ibm.com writes:
>In a recent append, m0v5533_at_tamsun.tamu.edu (Mahesh Vallampati) writes...
>>Still trying to move into this market .Again delays. I am very much impressed
>>with Oracle's engine. Once the product is out and the stats of performance
>
>I would just like to point out several things:

I'd like to point out a few things too:

> 1, DB2/6000 is faster than Oracle v7, if Oracle doesn't use discrete trans.

A mule is faster than a Ferrari, IF you want to cross the Himalayas. Care to discuss DB/2 on non IBM operating systems (if it exists that is) where the playing field is more "leveled".

> 2, Oracle v6 had 26 maintenance releases. Oracle v7, on AIX, has had 16
> maintenance releases already. Does that sound stable to you?

The number of maintenance releases released for a product is NOT and has never been proven to be a measure of its stability. I would consider it a measure of a company's responsiveness to their customers needs.

If a product has N bugs in it, discovered over time period T, then the publisher may choose to produce N separate maintenance releases as soon as each bug is found or wait the entire time T and provide one release fixing them all.

By counting the number of maintenance releases one has no way of knowing just how many bugs were fixed in a product.

Why not give the customer a choice of installing the new release if the bugs it fixes are critical to him/her or of waiting some more to avoid frequent upgrades.

>>Mahesh Vallampati
>
>Pat Gainer
>gainer_at_almaden.ibm.com

Just my own obviously biased (like yours) opinions :-)

Shiraz Kanga
skanga_at_oracle.com

--
Shiraz Kanga (skanga_at_oracle.com) Tel: (415)506-5412 Fax: (415)506-7822
Analyst -- Desktop Netware Group - Worldwide Technical Support - 3OP11