Re: >Oracle's future

From: Dave Dargo <ddargo_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 1994 02:29:02 GMT

gainer_at_slowmo.almaden.ibm.com (P. Gainer) writes:

>I would just like to point out several things:
> 1, DB2/6000 is faster than Oracle v7, if Oracle doesn't use discrete trans.

If any other vendor had come out with the functionality of DB2/6000 and attempted to compete against Oracle, Sybase and Informix in the Unix market place they would have been laughed out of the market.

DB2/6000 aint DB2 and it has a long way to go to catch up with the competitive market place in the UNIX environment.

> 2, Oracle v6 had 26 maintenance releases. Oracle v7, on AIX, has had 16
> maintenance releases already. Does that sound stable to you?

Oracle7 has had 2 maintenance releases since its release in December of 1992, (7.0.13 and 7.0.15), it is about to have its 3rd (7.0.16).

>Pat Gainer
>gainer_at_almaden.ibm.com

Dave (ddargo_at_oracle.com) Received on Sun Mar 20 1994 - 03:29:02 CET

Original text of this message