Re: ORACLE data block corrupted survay

From: Doug Harris <ah513_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 1994 04:04:42 GMT

In a previous article, gtupper_at_monkfish.nosc.mil (Greg Tupper) says:

>I am running oracle 7.0.13 on an hp 700 with hpux 9.01 I have
>had five occations now when I have seen an ORACLE error in the 600 range
>reporting a corrupt oracle data block while selecting from a table.
>In all cases I have exported all the data I could, dropped the table,
>and imported the export file.

   This may be the result of specifying multiple FREELISTS for a CREATE INDEX statement. Check DBA_SEGMENTS where SEGMENT_TYPE='INDEX' for any with non-default FREELISTS values (I think the default is 0 or 1). If you find any, re-create the indexes and DO NOT use FREELISTS.

>Is there a bug with the RDBMS code?

   Yup, I think I ran across it in a README file somewhere.

>Does anyone else see this problem?

   Not since we stopped using FREELISTS on indexes (tables are fine, never bothered to check cluster segments).

  • Doug Harris Database Administrator, System Development Division, Statistics Canada ## Standard Disclaimer Applies ## --