Re: help needed: RDBMS V7

From: Leo Mannhart <mannhart_at_zuv.unizh.ch>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 1994 07:31:05 GMT

In article <1994Mar16.125249.26731_at_arbi.Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>, Lars.Priebe_at_arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Lars Priebe) wrote:

> Hi !
>
> We have a problem with ORACLE RDBMS V7.
> We have installed it as a local database under the account ora7 and
> group dba7 on a Sun Sparc10.
> During the installation process we don't have any problems. But if
> we try to start sqlplus we get the message:

So this means the startup-script went fine ?

> ERROR: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> ORA-07320: smsget: shmat error when trying to attach sga.
> SunOS Error: 13: Permission denied
> Additional information: 11
> Additional information: 4

zuvsun% oerr ora 1034
01034, 00000, "ORACLE not available"
// *Cause:
// *Action:
zuvsun%
So this means Oracle is not started yet
If memory serves me right then you will not be able to start this instance unless you relink oracle 'cause oracle is linked with the group "dba" so trying to start the instance with being a member of the group "dba7" will probably fail. Why will you change the dba-group name? It's not necessary. On my Sun SS1+ here there are running two databases concurrently, one 6.0.32 and one 7.0.12 (SunOS 4.1.3). The oracle user is for both "oracle" and the dba group for both "dba". The decision to connect one or the other database is made by the correct setting of "ORACLE_HOME" and "ORACLE_SID"

For this setting I had to relink the kernel as the normal kernel's semaphore limit is to low. As you're probably running Solaris 2.x, ask your sys adm how to increase the shaared memory, the semaphores and the like. On my config script I have the following parameters (remember: SunOS 4.1.3):

options SEMMNI=20
options SEMMNS=120
options SEMUME=20
options SEMMNU=60

May be this is of some help.

> Could it be a shared memory problem? Calling then programm tstshm
> yields:
>
> Number of segments gotten by shmget() = 25
> Number of segments attached by shmat() = 25
> Segments attach at lower addresses
> Maximum size segments are not attached contiguously!
> Segment separation = -1060864 bytes
> Shared memory non-attachable at specific addresses!
> Default shared memory address = 0xef6fd000
> Lowest shared memory address = 0xee25c000
> Highest shared memory address = 0xef6fd000
> Total shared memory range = 22679552
> Total shared memory attached = 26214400
> Largest single segment size = 1048576
> Segment boundaries (SHMLBA) = 4096 (0x1000)
>
> Besides there exists a (global) running Version of ORACLE RDBMS V6
> under the account oracle and group dba.
> We hope that someone could help us !
>
> Thanks !

You're welcome