Re: AIX 3.2, Oracle 6/7 co-existance

From: <cdjohnson_at_delphi.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 94 20:20:26 -0500

Stephen G. Roseman <lusgr_at_chili.CC.Lehigh.EDU> writes:

>This is probably a common question, but:
>
>I am running V6.0.31 on AIX 3.2, upgrading to 7.0.16 soon. The question is,
>can I run both at the same time? Are the kernel extensions compatible?
>I have 6.0.31 pw-syscall loaded, so if I load 7.0.16 adspc will both work?
>How about loading both from 7.0.16, will 6.0.31 still work?

On our "crash and burn" development system we have been running various versions of O6 and O7 concurrently for about a year. Currently, we are running 6.0.37 and 7.0.15. We upgrade them out of sync (i.e. one O6 upgrade vs. 2 O7 upgrades, or something like that) so we mix and match PW kernels and such. We have never had a problem that I could trace back to Oracle. This machine is not in production, and it is quiescent most of the time, so I can't speak for heavily loaded systems. We have run both versions of Oracle under AIX 3.2.3 and AIX 3.2.4. Now that we got Oracle 7.0.16 I may upgrade to AIX 3.2.5 as well.

Personally, I'd want to beat on both databases more before I'd put something like this in production. Good luck.

  • Chris Johnson cdjohnson_at_delphi.com Thomson Consumer Electronics