v6 to v7.xx, NCR 3555

From: louis.avrami..jr <lou2_at_cbnewsg.cb.att.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 1994 00:30:24 GMT

        My group will be migrating an Oracle v6.033 application, running on an Amdahl mainframe with the UTS 2.1 (UNIX) operating system, to Oracle version 7.xx on an NCR 3555 (4 or more Pentiums) running UNIX System V Release 4.1 (symmetric multiprocessing). Does anyone have any experiences, insights, tips, opinions, etc. with either the platform port (Amdahl to NCR) or the DB migration (v6.033 to v7.015 or v7.1)?

        Can anyone related any experiences working with Oracle v7.1? The Parallel Query option in v7.1 looks very promising. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether my group should look at v7.1, or is it still too new? What is Oracle's track record with new releases?

        Our application uses ProC. Does anyone know of any problems with trying to recompile using a new version of ProC?

        Any information or documentation sources would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Lou Avrami (attmail!lavrami) Received on Wed Mar 16 1994 - 01:30:24 CET

Original text of this message