Re: ODBC Driver on Internet?

From: <cdjohnson_at_delphi.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 94 21:38:18 -0500

Mark Stern <M.W.Stern_at_massey.ac.nz> writes:

>I have heard that both Oracle and PageAhead have placed ODBC drivers on
>CompuServe. Can anyone help me with the following questions:
>
>1) Will these drivers work with Oracle6 as well as Oracle 7?
>
>2) Are they provided free of charge? If so, would I be able to get them off
>someone who has downloaded them as I dont have a CompuServe
>connection.

I just downloaded the Oracle 7 ODBC driver from Compu$erve. The file is in the Oracle Forum (GO ORACLE), is called "O7ODBC.EXE" and is 469,834 bytes long. I have not tried this driver yet. The following is an excerpt from Message #37462 in the Oracle Forum explaining the post:

"Oracle is pleased to announce that the Oracle7 ODBC Driver V1.1.0.0 for Windows is now production and available. Due to the high customer demand, Oracle has decided to make the Oracle7 ODBC Driver and its documentation available immediately in the Oracle User Group Forum's Desktop and Servers Library...

"The Oracle7 ODBC Driver is free but you will be charged for CompuServe connect time to download it...

"This Oracle7 ODBC Driver is specifically developed for working against an Oracle7 datbase and does not support ORacle V6. The Driver supports all Oracle7 datatypes, PL/SQL, stored procedures and functions as well as provides improved performance.

"Support for this Oracle7 ODBC Driver can be purchased separately through Oracle Worldwide Support. Please note that Oracle will not provide support on the Oracle7 ODBC Driver unless a Support License Contract is in place.

[End quote]

The driver is large, and my Delphi Internet connection is 2400 baud, so I'll leave it to someone with a faster connection to upload it to the net. BTW, it only took about 6 minutes to download using the new 14.4 Kb access number.

Cheers...

  • Chris Johnson Thomson Consumer Electronics "All opinions are my own, blah, blah, blah..."