Re: Oracle Performance on HP vs Sun ?

From: Richard Finkelstein <rfinkel_at_infochi.com>
Date: 12 Mar 1994 08:30:56 -0500

Tim Read - Sun Linlithgow Snr SE and DB Amb. (timr_at_cerrera.uk.sun.com) wrote:
: Even then you can only compare TPC-C figures with TPC-C figures and then
: again only at the same rev of the benchmark. (v2.0 in this case)

: System tpmC $/tpmC Total Cost

: HP 800/E35 401.07 $1895 $759,865
: HP 800/H40 406.65 $2547 $1,035,773
: Sun SS1000 1079.43 $1032 $1,113,952
:
Hi Tim.

Are these figures published TPC-C benchmarks for Oracle? I have not heard that Oracle has run TPC-C benchmarks. Which Sun operating system were used in these benchmarks and which versions of Oracle? Also, for those who are not familiar with TPC-C, they should note that the TPC council changed the metric and is now measured in transactions/minute, so we are now looking at less than 20/secs - which is getting much closer to the truth than the old TPC-A benchmarks.

Thanks for the information Tim.

  • Rich
--
Richard Finkelstein                        Voice: 312-549-8325
Performance Computing, Inc.                Fax: 312-549-4824