Shared memory problems (Solaris 2.3 + Oracle 7.0.15)

From: Gunnar Orvarsson <gunnaro_at_hafro.is>
Date: 11 Mar 1994 15:52:42 GMT

These days, we are migrating our Oracle database from version 6 to version 7. We are also planning to replace our server, which is a SparcServer 370 running SunOS 4.1.3 DBE. For these purposes we have been testing an Apogee Orbiter X, model 554, which is some kind of a Sparc 10. It has 4 ROSS/RT625 HyperSparc CPUs and is running Solaris 2.3 with most of the common patches.

We have been having major problems trying to get Oracle to run on this machine. The problems seem to be related to accessing shared memory.

I have set up the shared memory parameters as recommended by Oracle:

        set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=8388608
  	set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
        set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
        set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10

        set semsys:seminfo_semmns=200
        set semsys:seminfo_semmni=70
        set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=100

Running the Oracle program for testing shared memory (tstshm) results gives:

        Number of segments gotten by shmget() = 50
        Number of segments attached by shmat() = 10
        Segments attach at lower addresses
        Maximum size segments are not attached contiguously!
          Segment separation = -2359296 bytes
        Default shared memory address = 0xef480000
        Lowest shared memory address  = 0xfff00000
        Highest shared memory address = 0xef480000
        Total shared memory range     = -277348352
        Total shared memory attached  = 20971520
        Largest single segment size   =  2097152
        Segment boundaries (SHMLBA)   =     4096 (0x1000)

Although the database isn't under heavy load, it crashes the system with horrible messages like:

        panic: already allocated shared memory l1 ptp
        syncing file systems ...panic: panic sync timeout

or:
        unix: panic: already allocated shared memory l1 ptp
        unix: syncing file systems...BAD TRAP:
        type=9 rp=f0804d8c addr=10 mmu_fsr=1a6 rw=2
        unix: oracle: Data fault
        unix: kernel write fault at addr=0x10,pme=0x0
        unix: MMU sfsr=1a6: Invalid Address on supv data stor

Does anyone know what might be wrong with our configuration? Are there special problems that might arise, with this kind of hardware? Are there any special patches that must be installed?

Best regards,

--
Gunnar Orvarsson                                 Internet:    gunnaro_at_hafro.is
Hafrannsoknastofnunin/Fiskistofa                 Telephone:   +354 1 697909