Re: DISTRIBUTED OBJECT technology in ORACLE8:

From: Neil Greene <neil_at_kynug.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 1994 15:15:23 GMT

In article <1994Mar11.114402.75921_at_hursley.ibm.com> ravi_mendis_at_hursley.ibm.com writes:
> In <1994Mar10.064044.11484_at_bMD.com>, Neil Greene <Neil_at_bMD.com> writes:
> >In article <1994Mar9.152712.47435_at_hursley.ibm.com>
> >ravi_mendis_at_hursley.ibm.com writes:
 [stuff deleted..]

> >> Anyone know any details of ORACLE's object technology
> >>plans/partnerships?
> >
> >I would be very interested in hearing more about this, even if it is
 just
> >hear say and dreams. Any chance on finding some serious leads on these
> >possabilities.
> >
> >Neil Greene
> >
> Well, there's an article in Information Week, 21 Feb '94, which talks
 about
> the rush by RDBMS vendors to incorporate Object technology into their
> systems:
>
> "Oracle has taken the most aggressive stance when it comes to
> migrating its database technology to object structures. When the Redwood
> City, Calif. company releases Oracle version 8 next year, it will
 include
> integrated object technology. 'This is not a few hundred lines of code'
> says J. Dash, Oracle VP of product strategy. 'We are making changes to
> the kernel' ".
>
> Also the article mentioned alliances between Object technology
> vendors and RDBMS vendors. (I think there is an Informix/ODI alliance?)
> May Oracle team up with NeXT? After all Oracle CEO, Larry Ellison
> sits on NeXT's board of directors...
>
> If Oracle chooses NeXT as its Object technology partner,
> would [NeXT's] Enterprise Objects be what Oracle is looking for??
> Here's an excerpt form the NEXTSTEP Expo announcement (March 07, '94):
>
> "...NeXT will announce..Enterprise Objects..,
> a technology that utilize industry standard relational databases
> (like ORACLE and Sybase) to provide persistance storage."
>
> >> If ORACLE8 implements a CORBA compliant ORB (object request
> >> broker) and an object framework such as NeXT Inc.'s Enterprise
 Objects
> >> (a system which provides object storage and persistance in a standard
> >>RDBMS)
> >> then ORACLE8 would become an Object Repository as well as a Data
> >>Server!!!??
>
> So maybe the changes planned for the kernel server are ORB
> services? And sitting on top of that would be the Enterprise
> Object Framework. This sounds a robust and powerful
> method of extending the use of a RDBMS to object technology,
> don't you???!!!

Maybe with a Sun, HP and Oracle partnership this will come about. NeXT is way out in front with their Object technology and more people are moving in on it. With these partnerships come more compliance with standards from NeXT. A database object would no longer be a simple field or record description, but a real object entity. And with LE on the board there is got to be some discussion of the future between Oracle, NeXT and this object paradigm. Where does this put Sybase in the race for Object technology? Or is there even a race?

Could you imagine an optimized parallel oracle server running a custom application using parallel PDO's?? Talk about giving your corporate database and front end applications a jolt of speed and intelligence. Not to mention the ease of development.

--
Neil Greene
benchMark Developments, Inc. [NeXT VAR]