Re: Long Raw field in table

From: Anton Dischner <dischner_at_med.uni-muenchen.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 1994 22:09:28 +0100

In article <2lnc36$daq_at_ucunix.san.uc.edu>, baljepsu_at_ucunix.san.uc.edu (Sailaja U Baljepalli) wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone out there has experienec with long raw
> columns in tables. We created a table with one long raw column to
> store binary information. The problem is that any activity on that
> table takes an enormous amount of time. For example if we do a select
> count(*) via sqlplus when the table has about 50 rows, it takes almost
> 5 minutes for the query to come back ! The table is indexed on a NUMBER(6)
> column and it seems that Oracle does something internally when dealing
> with such tables which slows down the queries. No response yet from Oracle
> (we have a TAR for this).

We had the same problems with long raws on a IBM RS6000 with 7.0.13 only 3 Fields, correct indexed too. The performance was -very bad-

I have no idea why. Does anybody have a solution ? With this performance long raws are complete useless. (We had to code it in C)

Regards,
Toni Received on Thu Mar 10 1994 - 22:09:28 CET

Original text of this message