Which develpment tool?

From: Ing. Maximo Maldonado Boyso <mmaldona_at_andromeda.mty.itesm.mx>
Date: 8 Mar 1994 22:48:30 GMT

We're currently evaluating different products to choose the one that will support our development of applications for the next 5 years.

Three of these products have some of the characteristics we're looking for:
- Database independece

  • High quality GUI
  • Object-Orientation

These products are:
- Power Builder 3.0

  • JAM 5.0 (I know there's JAM 6.0 about to be released in the market)
  • Interface Builder with DBKit

I'm hopping that people out there that have used them, may give us some advice, sharing with us some of their experiences: why you chose a product for your particular development environment, does it fit or not your necesities and why you say so, what you expected from the product and what you've got from it, is it suitable, according to your experience, for deploying large scale applications with let's say 500 concurrent users, what about project management and team-work, and if you should choose a development product, would you choose the same again.

If you don't have so broad an experience with any of these products, I'd like to hear just what you know.

I will appreciate your time and valuable information, and I'll post a summary of the responses I get.

Thank you,

Yours, Max and Alfonso

--
Maximo Maldonado B.