Re: SQL*Net server on a VAX/VMS

From: <jl34778_at_corp02.d51.lilly.com>
Date: 8 Mar 94 17:25:03 EST

In article <2lgcjj$stb_at_Tandem.CAM.ORG>, martin_at_CAM.ORG (Martin Carmichael) writes:
> I have to install SQL*Net to give client-server access to PC's.
> The transport is DECnet.
>
> Can somebody tell me how do I set-up the VAX to run SQL*Net server?
>
> Somebody told me that it is much easy if the PC's logs in with SQLNET as
> username.
>
> The setup on the pc's looks good : I have a DECnet transport that works,
> SQL*Net is installed on the PC, but I get an error message:
>
> ORA-6036 : Connect failed, no response from the remote host.
>
> Can somebody help me?
>
> Thanks a LOT!

We do the following, all of which is documented in the SQL*Net 1.2 guide for decnet.

  1. Create a special VMS account (we call it SQLNET) to service the connection requests.
  2. For each instance, create a command file that is invoked by each connection. This command file defines the various necessary logicals to point the server to the correct instance. An example is appended to this note.
  3. For each instance, define a decnet object ORDNsid. This object holds the SQLNET username and password, so that clients only need an ORACLE id and password, not a VMS id and password.
  4. Initiate a connection with the connect string 'T:node-sid'. For example, to connect to scott/tiger on the 'dev' instance on node 'abcvax',

        $ sqlplus scott/tiger_at_d:abcvax-dev

Bob Swisshelm                | swisshelm_at_Lilly.com     | 317 276 5472
Eli Lilly and Company        | Lilly Corporate Center  | Indianapolis, IN 46285

$!
$! ORDNDEV.COM
$!
$! Command procedure that is invoked by the server process created by a
$! connection request across SQL$Net DECnet.
$!
$ assign dev ora_sid
$ assign ora_disk02:[oracle70.rdbms] ora_rdbms
$ define/nolog ora_common		ora_disk02:[oracle70.rdbms]
$ define/nolog ORA_SLAX                 ora_common
$ define/nolog ORA_PLS                  ora_common
$ srv:==$ora_rdbms:srv.exe
$ srv decnet_nsp: Received on Tue Mar 08 1994 - 23:25:03 CET

Original text of this message