Re: Reading Oracle's Transaction Log

From: Lee E Parsons <lparsons_at_world.std.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 1994 14:53:03 GMT

chardage_at_aol.com (CHardage) writes:
>We are working with Oracle v7, and need a way to
>track the changes that are made to certain tables and fields.
>A suggestion was made that we could use Oracle's own
>transaction log - but Oracle recommends against this. [...]
>
>Can anyone shed any light on how to read and use Oracle's
>transaction log as our audit trail?

When I asked the same question in regards to a version 6 database they didn't recommend against it - they told me it couldn't be done. (They must like you more then they like me :)

My understanding is that log files only contain block offsets and the data to be written. There is no information kept on who what where or why the xaction was made. For us this made xlogs useless for auditing.

--
Regards,

Lee E. Parsons
Systems Oracle DBA	 			lparsons_at_world.std.com