BCS 4th Dimension SIG Meeting, March 10th, 7PM, MIT

From: Karen R. Sabog <kalena_at_bu.edu>
Date: 7 Mar 94 19:36:57 GMT

> Forwarded Message:

From: kalena_at_it.bu.edu (Karen R. Sabog) Subject: BCS 4D SIG Mtg, Mar 10, 7PM, MIT To: 4d_at_isig.mit.edu (4D Internet Email Forum)

[Courtesy of Peter Kussell, Director of BCS 4D SIG] [CORRECTIONS/CLARIFICATIONS courtesy of Peter Bogdonoff, ACI US, Inc. Boston Office]

Boston Computer Society 4th Dimension Special Interest Group

Next Meeting Date

Thursday, March 10th, 1994
6:30 PM Novices Meeting
7:00 PM Main Meeting
MIT Building E51, Room 136
50 Wadsworth Street
Cambridge, MA

For more information, call Peter Kussell at 508/549-6466 (work) or 617/821-6324 (home).

Agenda for March 10th, 7:00PM: ACI Developers Open House

Saloni Sarin, Head of Developer Services, and Dave Beckett, Marketing Engineer, will be our special guests from ACI US, Cupertino. Saloni will talk about ACI's multi-platform strategy and show off new product releases and upcoming products for 4th Dimension. Non-4Ders invited!!!

  [Correction: 1. It's DAN Beckett (not Dave Beckett) --Peter B.]

ACI Announces 4D Universal Server!

The latest issue of MacWeek (2/7/94) was a front-page issue for ACI, which detailed their plans for going multi-platform in the next year, including versions of 4D Server, 4D Client, 4D Compiler and 4D for Windows, Windows NT, Solaris, Chicago. They'll do this magic for 4D Server by taking core 4D Server code, tweaking it for the various platforms and then recompiling it. ACI is seeking to set itself apart from the pack (not the first time...) of other cross-platform database development systems by stressing the idea of "multi-platform" (good) vs. "cross-platform" (bad). The idea is that "cross-platform" assumes you carry over from some original operating system much information which is irrelevant or just plain wrong when working in another operating system. So there seems to be a very large-scale committment on ACI's part to map out a scalable future for clients and developers. 4th Dimension itself is still written in Object Pascal, so it seems Laurent R. is waiting for a cross-compiler from MetroWorks in order to bring the development system over to the PowerPC in native code. There are many tantalizing details in the article. We expect that the March 10th 4D Open House will be an opportunity to learn more about ACI's multi-platform strategy as well as see some new tools ACI has recently delivered or is about to deliver... This is definitely going to be an important, not-to-miss meeting...

  [Corrections/Clarifications
  2. Re: "by taking core 4D Server code, tweaking it for the various

      platforms and then recompiling it"  -- Not.  4D Universal is not
      a recompile. It's a revolutionary new architecture.  We've been
      at work on it since 1990.

  3.  Re: "ACI is seeking to set itself apart from the pack...of other
      cross-platform database development systems by stressing the
      idea of "multi-platform" (good) vs. "cross-platform" (bad) --
      For "multi-platform" please substitute "platform independence".
      There's a big difference.  We'll explain what we mean in more
      detail.  Come and hear about the VME (Virtual Machine Engine).

  4.  The PowerPC strategy will be discussed also. It is more like
      what you described as "multi-platform"; a tweak-and-recompile.]

  --Peter B.]

February Meeting Highlights

Peter Bogdanoff won a copy of Microsoft's FoxPro for the Mac...

Jobs... Jobs... Jobs...

Acumen, Inc. of Santa Fe, NM is looking for a full-time 4D Developer for a large new 4D project which they expect will also include Newton technology. Contact them at: Acumen, Inc. 803 Juniper Lane, Santa Fe, NM 87501, Compuserve: 72371,3356 or AL: D4630.

Training... Training... Training...

  • ACI's March Training schedule in Boston is: 3/21-22 Intermediate; 3/23-24 Advanced; and 3/25 4D Server. Call them at 408/252-4444 x213 to register.
  • DMD Systems April dates are: 4/25-29 Call 303/989-8019.
  • Dimensions Magazine is published by Blackledge Publishing: 800/424-4855. Solid bimonthly 4D publication.

April 14th Meeting

Thursday, April 14th, 1994
6:30 PM Novices Meeting
7:00 PM Main Meeting
MIT Building E51, Room 136
50 Wadsworth Street
Cambridge, MA

Natural Intelligence will present a sneak preview of version 2 of Quick Code Pro!

If you have an address change, call Tim Dalton, our membership chairman, at 508/777-6313. Our BBS using 1st Class Client is 617/864-3375. And, while you're at it, join the BCS! Call the BCS number at 617/252-0600 today!

Karen R. Sabog                                 Internet: kalena_at_bu.edu
Boston University Office of Information Technology
Personal Computing Support Center                   HAWAII NO KA OI!!!