Re: ORACLE'S FUTURE?

From: Jeff Kopmanis <jeffk_at_garnet.msen.com>
Date: 7 Mar 1994 03:06:16 GMT

Doug Hewko (doug.hewko_at_synapse.org) wrote:
: Is the role of ORACLE as a tool for database development expanding or
: decreasing? I was informed by what I consider an authority on the
: subject (a senior consultant in the data modelling division of the
: Department of National Defence) that DB2 is the database program to
: learn. So I am wondering if every ORACLE program will be converted to
: DB2 or some other database program in the future? (I realize it won't
: happen over night, but conversion techniques do exist.)

I'd question your authority's interests. DB2 runs on OS/2 and mainframe hardware. Oracle will be around because of the dominance it has in the Unix world. The GOVERNMENT still runs on mainframes and would undoubtably benefit from DB2 becoming "the" standard. My question is...If DB2 is so great, why hasn't it taken off on other platforms since its introduction?

IBM would most definitely love to hear universal DB2 interest, but it won't happen.

I seem to remember an Army recruiter once telling me that "programmers will be obsolete soon. You won't want to go into computers NOW." Ack. That was nearly 10 years ago and nothing terribly revolutionary has happened yet. Watch what those DOD types tell you.

--
Jeff Kopmanis       (Ann Arbor, Michigan)   |  email:  jeffk_at_msen.com
Organizer of the Linux Software Map (LSM)   |  phone: (313) 393-4784 (work)