ORACLE'S FUTURE?

From: Doug Hewko <doug.hewko_at_synapse.org>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 94 10:47:00 -0500

First, if anyone is interested, ISO and ACHE (International Electrotechnical Commission) has prepared a standard on data modelling. The document is called "Reference Model of Data Management" and is document # ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2WG3 N1438. Sorry, but I do not have an electronic copy and I obtained mine by contacting ISO, so I recommend you do the same.

Is the role of ORACLE as a tool for database development expanding or decreasing? I was informed by what I consider an authority on the subject (a senior consultant in the data modelling division of the Department of National Defence) that DB2 is the database program to learn. So I am wondering if every ORACLE program will be converted to DB2 or some other database program in the future? (I realize it won't happen over night, but conversion techniques do exist.)

Also, did anyone here use a ORACLE interface-type program called "DataEase"? I am looking for a FTP site on that..

Thanks.

               e-mail: Doug.Hewko_at_Synapse.org

---
 þ 1st 1.11 #574 þ You've been leading a dog's life; stay off the furniture.