Re: Forms 4 Speed Ups?

From: Dennis Moore <dbmoore_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 1994 00:30:07 GMT

In article <762903191snz_at_gjw1992.demon.co.uk> gjwalker_at_gjw1992.demon.co.uk (Gary John Walker) writes:

> I'm just starting to develop using Forms 4 on a Sun Sparc 2 under
> SunOs 4.1.3. The Sparc 2 has 32Mb memory, 128 Mb swap (normal
> swap partition plus an extra 64 Mb swap partition). The version
> of Forms is, I think, 4.0.9.

FYI -- the production version will be available in a very short while, and it will be 4.0.12.

> The problem is that both the designer and the 'run forms' are
> incredibly slow. Designer's unusable if a form's being run at
> the same time. And this is with a simple one canvas, one block,
> one table (with just 4 columns) test application.
>
> Are there any performance improvements I can make?

There are some -- contact Support. However, all the real performance tuning of the Toolkit on Motif was done well after the 4.0.9 release came out. The current version is MUCH faster (and obviously more stable).

> I suspect lots more hardware power is the simple answer. But what
> about more swap?
>
> Do other people get the same impression, or is there likely to be
> something wrong with my setup?
>
> Is the Sun version of Forms 4.0.12 much better?

I think so. ;-)

> One thing I have to admit is that though we've applied the
> X11 and OW patches required by Oracle in the installation guide,
> for the time being we're still running under OW itself rather
> than a Motif 1.2. And some time soon we hope to get hold of X11R5
> as well which I hear helps reliability if not speed.

Both!

> Gary John Walker gjwalker_at_gjw1992.demon.co.uk

  • Dennis Moore, my own opinions, etcetcetc