Feasibility of LARGE text database

From: Ryan Rediske <rediske_at_lenti.med.umn.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 1994 23:29:26 GMT

Hi all,

     I'm a curious student employee of the U of MN. We run expensive database software to search medical journals (MEDLINE). As the subject states, it is very large (6-7 Gigabytes!). I know nothing of Oracle, other than it is a database system. Could we save our department tens of thousands of dollars by using our site license for the database file to make our own front-end and an Oracle based database? Is it possible considering the frequency of users (estimated 2,000+ login's a day, not to mention several queries per login)? We have a SunSparc10 model 51 with one processor, 128 Megs RAM and 9.4 Gigs of drives.

                                   Thanx for any help,

       /---------------\           Ryan T. Rediske
Feel   |C:>DEL *.*     |           Computer Assistant for the
the    |               |           Univesity of Minnesota
urge   |               |           Bio-Medical Learning Resources Center in
to     |               |           Diehl Hall rm. 274
PURGE! |               |           Work (612)-624-9921 Home (612)-331-6410
           /       \             * rediske_at_lenti.med.umn.edu
   /----------------------\        lrc3_at_maroon.tc.umn.edu
   | ^----  *----         |        redi0003_at_gold.tc.umn.edu
   \______________________/---\    ryan_at_nuthatch.lib.umn.edu