More SQLMenu problems

From: <ling_at_acacia.qut.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 94 00:12:05 GMT

Hello Oracle users,

Below is a list of the problems with SQLMENU V5 which I sent to ORACLE in 1992.

Here are some of the SQLMENU V5.0 problems which we encountered at QUT
(Customer no. 40505) which I hope they can be considered for future
product enhancement.

These and other problems have been logged with the HOT LINE. Work-around solutions have been implemented by QUT but still are not satisfactory. Please refer tocall numbers: 31177, 32703, 32706, 32707, 32708, 32709, 32710, 34623 plus two other calls (one on 6/2/92, one after 25/5/92).

  1. Menu applications can be seen, deleted, copied by other users because they are all granted with DESIGN and EXECUTE privileges on the data dictionary tables. This means students' assignments are pointless. tables. This makes lecturers setting assignments pointless.
  2. Upgrade to SQLMENU dictionary tables will wipe off all the users's privileges on SQLMENU. Has to create the script prior to upgrade and re-grant again.
  3. Cannot delete menu roles through a script procedure. Has to do it online by hand.
  4. Cannot allow a batch process (running a key stroke input file) and an online process to use the ACTION -> ADMIN -> SECURITY option simultaneously. One of these processes's update to the database will fail.
  5. A long key stroke input file to register users and create roles will not create all the users and roles specified. It will miss out some users.
  6. The echo input keystroke file (-e option) and output file (-w option) do not contain any error codes when errors are encountered.

How-Hie Ling.
(h.ling_at_qut.edu.au)

Queensland University of Technology,
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Received on Wed Mar 02 1994 - 01:12:05 CET

Original text of this message