Re: ACCESS, NT SQL server and Sybase SQL Server

From: David I. Laudicina <dil.admin_at_mhs.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 1994 10:40:50

>|> This is not completely accurate. Microsoft rewrote Sybase SQL SErver
>|> extensively. This results in having version 4.2 available from Microsoft
>|> but 4.9 from Sybase, for instance, but Microsoft offers nice Windows
>|> administration tools (big surprise!) not available with Sybase.
>|>
>|> Microsoft's relationship with Sybsae is deteriorating, partly based on
>|> pricing.

>I wonder how long it will be before the products diverge into incompatibility. Perhaps
>it's already happened - witness Replication Server, Backup Server, SQL Monitor.

Replication Server , SQL Monitor and SQL Server are separate products in the System 10 arsenal. Backup Server is part of Sybase System 10 SQL Server. But from what I gather MS Sql Server will be upgraded to System 10 level soon. It is in the best inerest of both parties to keep them compatible. If they can resolve their differences in price the resulting products will benefit many and give us some choices. There is nothing like a little competition to create better products for us end users.
Thx Dave L Received on Tue Mar 01 1994 - 10:40:50 CET

Original text of this message