Re: export/import directly from tape drive?

From: David Crowson <zdxc0d_at_amoco.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 10:09:21 CST

In article jqb_at_Joanna.Wes.Army.Mil, u4imcehb_at_apollo.wes.army.mil (Ernest Boswell) writes:
-->Mark Ellis (mellis_at_ramcad.pica.army.mil) wrote:
-->
-->
-->: Anyone have any tips/techniques on doing exports/imports directly
-->: to & from a DAT tape drive under UNIX?
-->
-->I don't know if this would work, but it might be worth a try.
--> Read from/write to your tape into/from a pipe (or named pipe) and
--> do your import/export to/from the pipe.
-->True, it's not directly to/from the tape, but it's a reasonable facsimile
-->thereof.

No..no..no..

All you need to do is to specify the device name at the filename parameter... e.g.

exp userid=system/manager file=/dev/nrst16

where /dev/nrst16 = the device ....change to suit.

The same is true for imports..

I do this every 2 weeks as an export from one of out insdtances would be too big to fit on disk.

---
David Crowson   =%^)   |"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go.
Oracle DBA(Ver.4,5,6,7)| I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to
Amoco Exploration      | move, to get down off this featherbed of civilisation
Ealing, London         | and to find the globe granite underneath and strewn
"My views not Amoex's" | with cutting flints" : Robert Louis Stevenson