Re: Table INITIAL and NEXT values

From: Brett May <bmay_at_blkbox.COM>
Date: 27 Feb 1994 22:56:16 -0600

enneper_at_vnet.IBM.COM writes:

> After sizing a table to 30M what do I set the INITIAL and NEXT
>storage values to in the create table statement? I currently set
>INTIAL to 30M and NEXT to 3M (tenth of estimated size) is this
>correct?

Roy,
The best NEXT value depends on the nature of your table. A good rule of thumb is to set NEXT to the ammount by which you expect the table to grow over the next year, or until you decide to de-fragment the table (whichever  comes first). Think about how this table will grow over time. If it will double in size in a year, 3M will not really be enough. If it is a relatively static table, 3M will be just fine. Another rule of thumb: generally it's not advisable to maintain a table with more than 5 or 6 extents allocated. Defrag time is near if this happens. Hope this helps...

Brett

Brett M. May              | "...so I said, HEY! LAMA! How 'bout a little
bmay_at_blkbox.com           | something for the effort? And the lama says, 'oh,
Andersen Consulting       | there will be no money; but when you die,on your
Houston, Texas            | deathbed, you will receive total conciousness.'
(713) 528-1409 (voice) | So I got that going for me, which is nice..."