Re: SQL*net hanging processes in Oracle 7

From: Anders Conrad <ac_at_dde.dk>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 1994 13:24:40 GMT

Andrew Jones (lrpr_at_unb.ca) (LRPR_at_UNB.CA) wrote:
: In version 6 of Oracle (SQL*net 1.x), if a user is connected from
: a PC using SQL*net in client server mode and reboots the PC, there
: is a process left hanging on the Oracle DB server. PMON is supposed
: to clean this up, but doesn't (thanks to all those who have posted
: homegrown solutions). As we prepare to go to Oracle 7, I wonder if
: this problem has been dealt with (in O7 or SQL*net 2.x). Anybody
: know that for sure? Thanks in advance.
:
: Andrew Jones (LRPR_at_UNB.CA) "##include <standard disclaimer>"
: ------------------------------------------
: | "Give up, Earthlings! Your superior |
: | intelligence is no match for our puny |
: | weapons!" |
: | (The Simpsons' Halloween II Aliens) |

As far as I am informed, this issue is related to the network configuration, rather than any specific version of Oracle or SQL*Net.

TCP/IP should be configured with the keepalive option on for the orasrv port. At least for Oracle 6/SQL*net V1 this is a prerequisite for the server process to notice that it's client has disconnected. Any good Oracle 6 port should be able to react reasonably on a disconnect, detected through the keepalive mechanism.

As far as I know PMON has no way to detect a broken connection, when the client process is on another machine.

Anders

--
Anders Conrad
Dansk Data Elektronik A/S, Herlev, Denmark