Re: SQL*Textretrieval...Help

From: Leo Mannhart <mannhart_at_zuv.unizh.ch>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 1994 07:38:15 GMT

In article <2kijij$6k3_at_nic.hookup.net>, pberger_at_nic.hookup.net (Paul Berger) wrote:

> I'd like to find out a little bit more about Oracle's SQL*Textretrieval product.
> I would appreciate hearing from anybody that has had any experience with the
> product or perhaps from Oracle themselves. Thanks in advance! My
> questions follow:
>
> What is the current release of the product?
 2.0.7.3 (2.0.8 is somewhere in the pipe)

> Does it work with Oracle's CDE (GUI based, desktop) tools...specifically
> SQL*Forms 4.0?
 Don't know (think not)

> Does it run against an Oracle7 database?
 Yes (Oracle 7.0.15.4 on VMS will deliver with SQL*TR 2.0.7.3 here in Switz)

> Can OEM third party tools such as Pagemaker easily interface with this product?
There are filters for Word and WordPerfect in the product so your text table can point to a "external" document and display it as plain ascii text (I cn comment this as I store my text in a long column of the text table)

> How difficult are the routines, (the API), to understand and use
> effectively? Writing code in 'C' or creating extensive user exits doesn't
> sound that appealing. It takes a tremendous amount of time to get going and
> to deploy. (Comments please.)
Not so bad to understand the included user exits you need to perform all the text retrieval functions. I haven't coded any C user exit yet for our needs of SQL*TR, forms 3.0 and PL/SQL is all I use. The examples in the manual are not so bad, but be warned, the printed example PL/SQL routines are buggy. As I am not a library guru I haven't yet fully unterstood all the things like setting up synonym rings (broader | narrower | related term)
and what I can gain with the keywords etc. (but time will come, I hope)

> Thanks for your feedback.
 You're welcome

--
Leo Mannhart