RE: Importing Bitmaps into Oracle RAW formated data

From: Tony Scott <asc_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 1994 22:34:41 GMT

scotts_at_chopin.udel.edu (Scott S Street) wrote:
> Subject: Importing Bitmaps into Oracle RAW formated data
>
> I have Oracle 6 installed on a Banyan Vines 4.11 server.
> My group is trying to get bitmaps to appear in Oracle Card from the
> database.
>
> Anyone have an idea how this is done?

Your title seems to contradict your question. To get the bitmap into the database, create a LONG RAW column and associate it with a Card paint object. Use the Import command to get the bitmap from the file system into the paint object and then Save. Normal querying gets it back from the database. Oracle Card v1 for Windows has a bug that prevents it handling 256 colours properly. Chances are you won't be able to actually do this at all in such circumstances. Mac version is OK, so they tell me.

This problem was supposed to be fixed in v2 but Oracle pulled it at the last minute to revamp the whole thing as Oracle Media Objects (OMO), not appearing till the summer/autumn (and we know what that means). After protests they are supposed to be issuing some kind of statement this week about a revised timetable but I haven't seen it. I and some others have been tyring to persuade them that ratting on the users like this is not good practice.

Tony Scott
(asc_at_cix.compulink.co.uk) Received on Thu Feb 24 1994 - 23:34:41 CET

Original text of this message