Re: Is Forms 4.0 stable?

From: Fred Wiersma <wiersma_at_discus>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 1994 16:29:30 GMT

>Kevin Mallory, Oracle Corporation
>Development Manager, Quality and Performance Programs, Oracle Forms Development
>
>"QUALITY is never an accident; it is always the result of high
>intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful
>execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives."

Just finished installing Forms 4.0.12.1.10 and Reports 2.0.13.1.4. for MS Windows.
Free mem: 18 Mb; free resources: over 70 %.

  1. The installer crashed with a general protection fault. Oracle Technical Support (OTS) tells me the installer needs about 450 K real mode memory. They don't know why (yet) but will try to find out. Why is so much real mode memory needed for a Windows product?
  2. I want to install to a network drive directory h:\orawin. In a batch file that I run before entering Windows I substitute s: for h:\orawin i.e. C:\ subst s: h:\orawin

so that everything is a bit more generic (more users will use this drive but will not connect it to h: ; the drive letter s: is reserved for Oracle Windows products).
Problem: the installer refuses to install to a root directory (s:\)! OTS tells me that is because the root directory may not contain more than 114 files. Yeah, great, but a) this is not really a root directory and b) I don't have 114 files in my root directory so what is the problem anyway. The installer is quite rigid. 'Solution' according to OTS: install to h:\orawin instead of s: . Yes, and all the Windows icons and oracle.ini file
reference to h:\orawin instead of s: . Great for my general installation... Now I can manually change all these references. *Sigh*

3) The installer does not delete the old versions (it was an upgrade)! Why not? It would be a simple extra question.
You have to tell the installer to delete the old products first before
installing the new ones. *sigh* Also, the installer ADDS the Windows icons instead of replacing them. *sigh*

Who designed this installation procedure?

Frustrated,

Fred Wiersma
wiersma_at_tfdl.agro.nl

PS The installation procedure is a lot better than version 2. It is not all bad, but I think it has not been tested thoroughly by an experienced end user.

PPS Now, what new bugs will I meet when I use the products... :).

PPPS In an earlier post soneone remarked that Oracle Corp has versionitis i.e. too many versions in a short time. This is indeed hell for system managers. Will this ever change? Received on Wed Feb 23 1994 - 17:29:30 CET

Original text of this message