Sybase vs Oracle and SQL net

From: Chi-Cheong Weng <weng_at_leland.Stanford.EDU>
Date: 21 Feb 1994 21:41:25 GMT

For Sybase vs Oracle , some people say:

>Sybase is decent so long as you don't require a lot of throughput. Their
>servers bottleneck after 4 engines (in heavy client-server use) because
>of the way the db is architected (with engione 0 ending up as a bottlenck).
>If usage is reasonably light, and the database is not too large, Sybase

          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>works fine.

 Can anybody give me a quantative answers in terms of "usage is reasonably light" and "database is not too large" ?

>If you need a larger database, Oracle and Informix are generally recommended,
>although Informix is recommended more for query-intensive databases than
>for OLTP databases. Sybase has some scaling issue with regard to database

  Does "scaling issue" here mean "upgrading issue" ?

  What is OLTP databases ?

>size. Sybase can be a little nicer to work with from a developer's point
>of view.

Concerning to SQL*net:

There are many dicussion on the performance of SQL net. Some said that the performance problem is caused by SQL net. Some said that the performance problem is due to the network. Some said the performance problem is caused by the Database itself.

Can any people give any comments on this ? Received on Mon Feb 21 1994 - 22:41:25 CET

Original text of this message