Conversion from Oracle to SYBASE

From: Sunil Punnoose <sunil_at_oyster.smcm.edu>
Date: 21 Feb 1994 20:39:37 GMT

Does anyone have experience converting server and client apps from ORACLE to SYBASE?

  1. What are issues involved? Here are some that I could think of. Correct me if I am wrong!
    1. Conversion of table structures
      (This should n't be much of a problem, right!)
    2. Coversion of triggers, stored procedures, rules, defaults, indexes, views, user datatypes.
      ( I am assuming that functional equivalents of all of this exist in
      Oracle).
    3. Transfer of data
      (Once data is in ASCII form, I could use bcp to load the data).
    4. Conversion of client apps.
      (I expect this to be the real bear, since I expect Oracle's equivalent of
      DB-Library to be quite different)

I have used SYBASE but have no real experience using ORACLE. I am assuming that PL/SQL is sufficiently different from Transact SQL that a straight "port" would not be possible without significant a rewrite.

2. Are there any tools out there which will do this for you?

3. Any comments from people who have developed on both ast to the relative merits of SYBASE over ORACLE.

Thanks for your help in advance.

--
Sunil Punnoose
Ph: (703) 524 0045