Re: Multiple indexes on a column

From: Kevin Neel <k-neel_at_nwu.edu>
Date: 21 Feb 1994 22:35:54 GMT

In article <2k70e4$p5s_at_blkbox.blkbox.COM> Brett May, bmay_at_blkbox.COM writes:
>If I created another additional index over a and b alone, would it buy me
>anything? Or would the query get as much benefit from the original index
>of which a and b are only a part?

I would not make another one for a and b; the unique index will function just fine for that case. In fact, it will function fine for any leading subset of the columns. However, just b alone, or any other combination that is not a leading subset, will need its own index. Received on Mon Feb 21 1994 - 23:35:54 CET

Original text of this message