Re: Oracle books

From: Jeff Stander <jstander_at_ml.csiro.au>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 02:11:48 GMT

In article 7jv_at_tribune.usask.ca, crl130_at_cs.usask.ca (Curtis R Linton) writes:
>Suresh (suresh_at_seesrv.ako.dec.com) wrote:
>: Could somebody please give me the list of
>: good books on Oracle. This is for beginers
>: with database knowlegde.
>
>Me too please! I am doing a system analsis and design project that
>will be implemented (in part) in Oracle. What books can I turn to
>to get a good feel for the database design needs, as well as how
>Oracle's front end tools work? Thanks in advance

Aside from the manuals, which really do cover nearly everything, the books I recommend are the following:

  1. Title: Oracle7, the Complete Reference Author: George Koch Pub: McGraw Hill Comment: Has most everything you need in one large volumen which makes a good supplement to the manuals.
  2. Title: Oracle, Tuning Beyond the Manual Authors: Peter Corrigan and Mark Gurry Pub: O'Reilly and Associates in the Nutshell Guide series Comment: An excellent and comprehensive book on a subject not well covered by the manuals. Well worth the price. It covers both Oracle 6 and 7.
  3. Title: SQL/ORACLE Authors: Finkenzeller, Kracke, Unterstein Pub: Addison-Wesley Comment: Excellent introduction to SQL language as used in Oracle. Good for SQL beginners.
Jeff.Stander_at_ml.csiro.au        _--_|\        Database Analyst
CSIRO Division Of Fisheries    /      \       Pelagic Fisheries Resources
GPO Box 1538, Hobart           \_.--._/       Tasmania 7001, Australia
Aus Tel: 002-206-206                 v        Intl Tel: +61-02-206-206
Aus Fax: 002-240-530                          Intl Fax: +61-02-240-530