Re: ps shows user/password under Unix - SU

From: <cdjohnson_at_delphi.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 94 21:42:31 -0500

<GO.MSB_at_ISUMVS.IASTATE.EDU> writes:

>We are running BSD unix on ULTRIX and so do not have the ps problem.
>However, the point of passwords in files raises a problem we have:
>
> How does one generate reports from within SQL*Forms without having
> the password in a script file. We run reports from SQL*Plus scripts
> (which we generate from shell scripts with the query comimg from forms
> using the HOST exit). Since SQL*Forms cannot/(will not) pass any
> password info, the only recourse is to store the sql*plus logon info
> in a file (user can of course be passed through, but pw ????).

We use a different (though equally ugly) solution for our Forms/Menu applications. Since we start up SQL*MENU 5.0 first, we can access the UN/PW info. We have a small menu procedure which is called before accessing any other procedures to call forms/reports which puts the UN & PW in Forms/Menu Global variables. These variables are accessable from Forms to pass on to SQL*Plus, etc. Unfortunately, AIX on an IBM RS/6000 also prints the passwords given on the command line to SQL*Plus with the "ps" command.

If you're logged directly onto the system, or otherwise have a uniquely identified value for the SQL function "userenv('terminal'), you could possibly store the UN/PW in a table with a TTY_NAME column as the key, where your userenv('terminal') value is stored. However, you would need to find a way to grant access to the table to the users' applications without letting the users access it directly. At the moment, I don't have a clue how to do this...

  • Christopher Johnson Thomson Consumer Electronics cdjohnson_at_delphi.com